Tuesday, March 10, 2009

I just played at a nice club in Cresskill, NJ (Griffin's) last Saturday night with my band. The first set went really well with the audience applauding after each tune. We played some originals off our CD (sounds like Wes Montgomery meets Jeff Beck) mixed with songs made famous by Coltrane, Sting, Cold Play and Monk. (We do our own versions of the pop tunes.) I sold a few CDs afterward. During the intermission the club music got louder and louder as they switched to more rock type songs from Led Zeppelin, Floyd, Stones etc. A far cry from the more mellow sounds we were playing for the first set. More and more people were coming in now and were dancing and singing along to the "jukebox". They were really getting into the loud party atmosphere. It came time for our second set and I figured that I lost my "jazz audience". I put on a brave face expecting to lose the crowd's enthusiasm. We started with a jazz version of a rock classic that I do called "It's All Right Now" by Free. Of course we play a much mellower version than the original. I couldn't believe it when they started singing along during the chorus. We actually won them over. I was amazed! It was a great lesson for the band and I to just do what we do from the heart and end up being successful

No comments:

Post a Comment