Monday, March 16, 2009

"After the Weekend" Report


It was a really good weekend of gigs and making new acquaintances and fans of my music. I was hoping to have one person who never heard me play before be moved by my music and I am happy to say I was successful!
On Thursday night, I sold quite a few CDs and had so many people come over to give me their emails and contact info so I could keep them posted of my future performances.
The band that played after our set on Friday night was applauding after each song and wanted to know where we were going to be playing next so they could check us out again. That was extremely rewarding to me because they were not into jazz at all. The cello player (yeah, cello!) was asking me about the tones and sounds I got on my Les paul and old Fender Pro amp.
The owners of the venue for Saturday's gig (the Zen Den in Teaneck, NJ) flipped over our sound and immediately booked us to play there at an art show next week!
Sunday started out a little bleak as the audience was sparse and not responding much after the songs. As the place started to fill up, I was getting more polite applause and reaction until I played the last tune, a rendition I do of "Hotel California". It seemed like the whole place was applauding and cheering after that one. I was amazed. I had figured they just heard me as background music to their brunch and not a real performance. So I sold a bunch of my CDs and ended up getting quite a few more fans on a day that I was beginning to think was a lost cause!
I think when a musician just plays sincerely for the audience and from the heart, that he/she will have a wonderful positive reaction from the listener.
Hope you check out my next post when I tell you about a couple of great bands I heard just recently. Thanks for reading this. All the best to you,
Lou Volpe Jazz Guitar

No comments:

Post a Comment